Thursday, November 6, 2014

Where did the sun go?

I had some cute pictures planned for today, but don't worry, you will get to see them.  I had grand picture taking plans, but before I knew it the sun had set.  I had to finish some of the errands I forgot to add to my to-do list last night, and getting sucked into the Sims didn't help either.
I'm also making some progress on the fingerless mitts.  I thought I wanted to add one stitch per row for four rows, but turns out I really want to add 2.  I might have also wanted to add a plain row between, but I'm going to be doing some plain rows and we shall see if it looks pretty cool.  I am pretty proud that I figured out how to make it so that the beginning of row doesn't keep moving.  There is a bit of a spiral, but if I tug on it a bit they tend to line-up.
The one thing that makes me not a huge fan of crocheted fingerless mitts is the fact that crochet has so much stability.  It can be an awesome thing when used correctly.  Amigurumi and other toys are prefect uses for crochet's stability.  It can also use used for nice and lacy things that don't snag as easily.  With knitting, if a loop in lace gets snagged and pulled, you have to spend a while trying to fix it.  With crochet the stitches are locked within themselves, so they are harder to disrupt.
I feel like knitting is a bit better for things made for someone you don't know.  That way if it is a little snug, it can stretch out some and fit better.  I know there are a lot of hands out there and these will probably fit someone, but I'm still a bit worried.


Caramel apples are just so yummy.  In fact, I had one as a pre-dinner dessert tonight.  The one thing that annoys me is that so many of the peanut chunks like to fall off.  Peanut and caramel are one of my favorite combinations.  Though I warn you, I have a lot of favorite things that go with caramel.  Bananas and caramel smoothies are the kind I make the most.  Chocolate and caramel are a classic combination that I would never say 'no' to.

Since I probably just made everyone hungry, I feel like I should share a recipe I came up with the other day.  I had tried to look up a very similar recipe to the one that I had back in Germany that had baked potato pieces and just the right amount of cheese.  I looked up a recipe that looked the same on the webpage.  It also seemed to have the right ingredients, so I went for it.  I made it as the recipe said but something strange happened in the end.  I added the cheese to the top and put it in the oven to let it melt and meld with all the pieces of potato.  When I pulled it back out, it seems like a lot of the cheese wasn't there anymore.  It wasn't just that it had melted too much and was on the bottom.  Trust me, I looked for it there.  I'm just not sure where it went.  I then thought to make a cheesy sauce so that the cheese couldn't disappear again.  Here is what I came-up with:

All Cheese Potatoes

Servings: 2

Ingredients:

1C water
1 tsp Veggie Better than Bullion
2 oz Pancetta (finely chopped)
4 slices of Gouda
2-3 med potatoes
1 tsp flour
3 slices Munster 

Directions:

  1. Bake potatoes and set aside to cool a little.
  2. Mix water and Bullion and bring to a simmer.
  3. Add flour and mix well. Cook 2-3 mins to let it start to thicken.
  4. Add Pancetta and Gouda, removing the wax edges if there are any.
  5. Slice potatoes into bite size pieces and put into two 4" ramekins.
  6. When cheese is all melted and the mixture is smooth, divide evenly into the two ramekins.
  7. Divide two slices into quarters and put on ramekins, use the third slice to fill in any areas that need a bit more cheese.
  8. Heat under broiler until Munster has melted. Can brown if you wish, but it is not needed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The hubby liked this one.  He is kind of picky when it comes to things he likes.  He isn't overly picky about things he will eat, but he is hard to please sometimes.  I will warn you though, between the Better than Bullion and the Pancetta, the cheesy sauce is quite salty.  I didn't notice this at all when I was eating it on the potatoes, but I did notice some when I was scraping out the bottom of the ramekin.

 Short post for tonight, but I'm hoping to be able to make it up to you tomorrow.  There will be fun pictures and hopefully something finished.


Today's count: 833
Monthly count: 9,327
Prompts used: 8
Pictures posted: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment