Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Day 3: Start of Phase 2

8:09 am
  We had a slightly later start today.  There are also a lot less stuff in my driveway.  In fact, there is currently only a truck, some tool belts, and my old gutters.  I was told before that the dumpster for this group was going to be delivered at some point yesterday when I got a call on Sat, and I was told that they were going to be bringing one with them this morning.  Hopefully one shows up at some point.

9:13 am
  Still no dumpster, and it looks like they are putting new wood up.  This makes me hope that they don't really need to take the sections down that have the dentil molding, but I'm also making sure to not get my hopes up too much.

10:19 am
  Edwin is the one in the picture.  Looks like the molding is down.  Luckily Bill helped me get a rough estimate of their size before he left for work.  They are about 1" thick and 2.5" wide and tall.  Some are a bit taller than others, but they are evenly spaced apart.  Bill thinks I should try and live with the house without the dentil molding for a bit before I start getting people out to get quotes.  He points out that I will still have it around the front porch and that might make it more special.  I tried looking around in their pile of discards to see if I could find any of the squares, but I didn't see any.

11:19 am
  I think they are using their second truck to take away the garbage.  There is still no dumpster and the piles are made of different things than they were before.  It is really interesting to see that where the squares were there are now holes, so that must have been what helped hold them on.
  I'm hoping they get a lot done today because I won't be around for most of the day tomorrow.  I have a busy day and I don't know if I can get Bill to take as many progress photos.
  I will have a small sample to show from the knitting class I'm teaching in the early afternoon.  I'm hoping the New Member Orientation doesn't go too long because I don't want to miss any of the new Critical Role.

  I got brave and talked to one of the workers.  It sounds like they won't be pulling the wood off of the front of the garage.  I asked if they could save me one of the blocks and he said they were just going to put the aluminum over that wood since it was still nice.  So that means I'm not totally losing my dentil molding, but it will be hidden.  I think it will look interesting to see how the bends look.

12:24 pm
  Their design also has more details than I had assumed.  I thought it was going to be just a flat right-angled thing.  I like the little edge it has that gives more dimension, like the molding did.  This means that Bill will get to tease me for being so upset about the dentil molding and not believing him when he said everything was going to be okay.

1:18 pm
  I'm not sure if they are on lunch or what is happening.  Two of them are not around but the other three are still working.  Maybe the two are getting lunch for everyone and they will eat when they get back.

2:20 pm
  Looking that what it looks like from this angle I think the holes I saw were for ventilation and not what was holding the dentil molding on.  It looks like they built the front down some and added the aluminum on top.  Comparing the space between the bottom of where the dentil moldings were and where the bottom of the new ledge is leads me to believe that they are still under there.

3:31 pm
  It looks like they are almost done.  The lead guy was joking with me that they will be out next year to do our siding.  He was also impressed that they got the roof done in two days.

4:04 pm
  I got a knock on my door and the lead guy told me that they were all done for the day.  We did a walk around and everything looked good to me.  He told me the guy to do the gutters will be out tomorrow.

  On the sides and back they did what I was worried the front was going to look like.  It is just flat.  I'm okay with it on the sides because the siding gives it some interest, and I don't look at the back very often.  I do like the little detail on the bottom at the corners.

  My neighbor put a sign on the basketball hoop that I'm pretty sure doesn't have an owner.  Some of the kids from further up the street use it sometimes, so it isn't totally unloved.  I'm also not sure why Ms. Jackie thinks the people who are coming out to work on my house would want a basketball hoop, but she's trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment