Saturday, February 26, 2022

When Your Weekend Is Too Exciting

Pattern: Slippy Hat - Yarn - unknown - Needle: US 8
   I finished the last hat I said I would make for the Hatathon.  I'm going to try and get one more done, but I don't know if I'll manage to by the end of the month.

  I got a text and then a call from my mom on Friday evening that she had been in a car accident.  Some 16-year-old girl didn't know that you are supposed to yield to people going straight if you have the blinking left turn arrow.  My mom has two cracked ribs, a cracked sternum, and some cracked points in her back.  They have her in a neck brace and are waiting for the body brace.  I went to go visit today and brought part of knit group to her.  She couldn't move her one arm much because they needed the port for the dye for the MRI and she has tricky veins.
  They had planned on doing the MRI in the morning, but it didn't actually happen until about 4pm.  Once she was back they put her bed off to the side from where she had been before.  The nice trauma guy who came to give some poke and resistance tests was nice enough to put the bed back in the right spot.
  The day nurse was nice and came to check in a few times.  My mom complained about the lack of TV stations, and it seems that a lot of the TVs in that section weren't even working.  The visiting hours were 1-5pm but the trauma guy said that on the weekend there was some leeway because it's less busy and told me I could stay until they kicked me out with a wink.  I got kicked out when the night nurse came in to take over.  I left a bit after 7pm.
  She isn't in pain right now and is complaining more about how her 2002 Honda Odyssey is totaled and how inconvenient things will be at home with the braces on.  She is also concerned about Nezumi getting enough food and her medicine at the appropriate times.  I offered to leave some knitting for her to work on, but she declined.
  No one was sure when she would be released, so I left mine and Bill's cell phone numbers.  My dad is teaching again tomorrow and we want someone to be able to go get her if they discharge her when he's busy.  There's a good chance I'll go visit again tomorrow anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment