Wednesday, May 23, 2018

FL Day 5: Kitties!

  Turns out I had partied way too hard yesterday and had to take it easy this morning.  I drank a lot of water and watched some TV while Bill was at breakfast.
 We had two things in mind to go see today but decided to stop here at Martin Hellings House where the Woman's Club meets.  It was a small tour because we only looked around the bottom floor.  We also got some history on the area.  One of the things we learned is why the buildings have metal roofs.  They were also putting together backpacks with school supplies for kids who need them.  It was pretty cool.

  We saw a bunch of roosters and a few chickens on our way to Mile Marker 0.  They have such pretty feathers and it seems weird to see so many in such a populated area.  We might also have an answer on why the chicken crosses the road.

  We didn't get any Mile Marker 0 stickers, but we did get some pictures of the sign where US 1 begins.

  I knew I wanted to go to the Hemingway House so I could see the cats.

   My mom said that they don't let you near the cats, but that seems to have changed.

   You can pet them as much as they would like, but you are not allowed to try and pick them up.

  I took pictures and petted as many cats as I could.  One didn't want to be petted but wanted to play.

   A few others slept through getting a pet and some were all for it.

  There was a long line to get your picture with the marker at the Southern Most Point in the US.  I didn't feel the need to have a picture of myself in front of it, so Bill and I waited until we could take a picture of it without any people.  I took too long spending time with the cats so even though we had planned on meeting people here, they had already moved on.

  Glenn mention a place that was recommended to him to get really good conch fritters.  It turns out that DJ's Clam Shack was even on TV.  They were really good and had big chunks of pepper in them.  I was told that the lobster roll was also amazing and totally worth the price.

  We then stopped in at Key West Distilling and tried some of their items.  I only really liked one and Bill got it.  I'm sure the rest would be good mixed with something.

  Bill grabbed a pizza to go from Angelina's Pizzeria and we went back to the hotel to rest a little before we were going to meet up with everyone.  He said it was pretty good pizza and I did think that it looked good.

  We did another stop at Hog's Breath to see someone that Glenn knew and then we decided to stop in at Wet Willie's on the way to where we were going to have dinner and catch the game.  They are alcoholic slushies and are pretty good.

  It is a good fight when a hockey game breaks out.  I had another smoked mahi dip and was too tired to stay the whole game.  I barely caught one bus back to the hotel but luckily there was one too after that Bill caught.
  I had wanted to get some knitting done, but I was way too tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment