Sunday, May 20, 2018

FL Day 2: Ahead of Schedule

  I actually slept pretty well once I figured how to lay right and not feel as jostled by the train movement.  I would get used to the train rocking in one way just to have it change right before I drifted off.  My bed was firmer but cooler while Bill's was softer but warmer.
  We were really booking it last night because at 6am we got an announcement from the conductor that we would be arriving at the Station at 7:30am and then would have to wait until 8:30am when the station crew arrived and could start the process so we could get off the train.

  I actually had a bit of breakfast, and that is not normal for me.  I had a mini bagel (not pictured) and some tea.  There was also the option to have some cereal with mini milks to go into it.  They also brought butter, jelly, and cream cheese for the mini bagels.  I was hoping to get some eggs, but that was not an option.
  While we waited at the station it rained really hard then would back off enough to give us some hope, only to pour again.  The motorcycles were the last ones off and it was only raining slightly when they got pulled off.  We met up under the overhang and re-packed everything in a nice dry space.  On our trip down to Pompano Beach we didn't really get rained on even though the weather guessers said there was a 90% chance of rain all day.  It would drizzle on us long enough to make sure we were thoroughly damp, then nothing long enough for us to dry out, and then repeat.
  When we were rolling into town there was a group of three people just hanging out on the front lawn.  One was kind of half-heartedly waving at us, but when I waved back they got excited.  They were enthusiastically waving and yelling Hi to us.  It was great.
  We got in to the hotel and met up with the rest of our group.  I saw some interesting places on the way and I was really hoping we would stop in at Brendan's Sports Pub because it was almost right next to the hotel.  Since no one else could decide if we were going to go somewhere far or within walking distance I mentioned it.  Since it was so close everyone liked the idea.  I made sure to get the Smoked Fish Dip because my friend Mary kept mentioning that I would like that.

  We talked about how on the train they played Hearts for three hours and so they had to have a repeat performance tonight with one of the rest of our group.  The girls were off to the side talking and hanging out.  It was a good night but I wish we were going to be around a bit longer because the menu of Dandee Donuts looks awesome.

  There was a great meeting of the minds to determine our route for tomorrow.  The larger road was close to the city, so we figured that would be slower than if we took a road we found on the map that goes by the Everglades Wildlife Management Area.  Trish and I thought it sounded like it might be more fun to go by that, but the commitee had to talk it over.

No comments:

Post a Comment