Wednesday, April 5, 2017

This didn't work as I thought.

  So I thought I was being all smart the way I was figuring my rows.  I at least knew that since I cast on with each color that each one has its own row beginning.  I didn't, however, pay attention to the row stacking and how the stripes were laying down.  I had wanted to do four rows of each color and then move to the body of the hat.
  I was super confident that I knew what I was doing and that I didn't need to really pay attention to the rows and how they looked.  This has resulted in me knitting about two thirds of each bonus row in ribbing and the last third in stockinette.  So this means that each rib section doesn't have a last full set of stripes and that my band is a bit larger than I wanted.

  My choices are to live with it, or tink back and fix it.  I'm close enough to the problem that tinking wouldn't take me too long, but I'm also pretty sure that I am the only person who would notice.  I mean, hey, I didn't even notice at first.  I'm thinking it is something that I can live with and will just have to remember for another time.  The general knitting is fun enough that I think I will do this again.
  Ribbed color work is tricky.  You have to consider the future in the present.  If I knew that the next section of red needs to become stockinette, I can't just knit with the red.  Even though I am using the red yarn, I am really manipulating the white row under it.  The next row is where I have to knit with the blue because it would make the red stitches all appear as stockinette.  Next time I will have to just take each section as I come to it.

  Even though it requires more thought, I really like this style of one row stripes because it just flows so nicely.  If I had just cast on with one color and knit a row, then moved to the next there would be jogs, or little steps.  People have come up with ways to minimize it, but it is still there.  Knitting in the round is a spiral.  This version if it uses the spiral to my advantage.  This doesn't work if you want bigger stripes unless you use more than one ball of any color.  It is also a bit slower since you only work in partial rows with each color every time you go around.
  I've also been thinking about how I was going to be doing the decreases.  While it would make sense to do a row of blue with all decreases, a row with the white straight, a white decrease row, then the colors would do the opposite. This would make sense if all the colors had the same starting point for their rows.  Since they do not, I have been thinking that each color will get a third of a row decreasing, and then a plain third.

  In less confusing news, the grey shrug is off the needles, and getting a soak before I semi-block it.  Acrylic doesn't take a blocking as well as animal fibers, but I does listen some.

No comments:

Post a Comment