Sunday, February 26, 2012

Less than expected

I went over to my parent's house today to go and get my skeins of yarn.  I then learned that none of the colors I was very excited about was there, but that was fine because the color that I got was perfect for the pattern I had in mind. The one thing that was a bit disappointing for me was that each person only got 1 skein each.
I can understand why that would be a good idea.  Some people might just hear about the yarn and say that they will make hats out of it, but for one reason or another, don't manage to use all the yarn.  I'm hoping that once I use all that I have, that I will be able to get at least one more.

(picture from Universal Yarns website)
I got the color Chili Peppers(near the bottom of the page), and I think it will work perfectly for the Leafy Tops Hat(Ravelry link) I will be making with it.
I am so excited about this hat that I:

  • powered through the surprise project to get it to a good place so I will be able to finish it on time
  • put the pink hat on hold (doesn't help that the hat and surprise need the same needles)
  • ignored my purse knitting
  • moved my friend's mittens onto some scrap yarn because finding my other set of size 8 needles was taking too long
I really did consider finishing the first mitten before casting on the hat, I really did, but the pretty colors were calling to me too loudly.  My only defense on it is that if I knit the mittens one after the other, I have the best chance of them coming out the same size, where if I take a hat break, I'm just asking for giant gauge differences.
I also know that this hat will work-up quickly.  Each row might be 96 stitches, but since the yarn changes colors I tend to knit faster.  I am very entertained by color change.  I love seeing the color I am working will diminish on the skein, and I get excited because every stitch brings me closer to a new color.  Then I get to wonder how far in a row I will get before I actually get to the new color.  Once I am into the new color, I want to see how big of an area it will be.  Then I get to start it all over again as I get closer to yet another color.

No comments:

Post a Comment