Tuesday, March 6, 2012

*insert a you-don't-know-what-you-are-talking shake of the head here*

Dear All-knowing-knitting-lady,
I'm so glad you talked to me today.  Since all the people I know and the people on TV are wrong and have no idea what they are talking about, it is a good thing you were there to tell me what is right.

Here is the story on this.  I was at work putting some paint away when a lady approached me with a skein of yarn.  She said she needed 6 for her project.  I scanned it, and the computer said we had six.  I was happy for her.
Turns out they weren't all in the same dye-lot.  She then explained to me that if you knit something with a difference dye-lot it will leave a line.  I then told her that if you use the one color for one row and the other for another one for a few repeats, it is harder to tell.  I also told her it would look more like she did it on purpose.  She then shook her head at me like I told her that there is no such thing as a dye-lot and it was only a myth.  She then asked me if I knit much, and I told her I did.  She then shook her head at me again.
So, while I could understand how doing the different row thing could be annoying, and would show something.... the yarn was variegated.  Not only was it variegated, but it was mostly white with bits of other color.  I don't think you could tell enough for it to even matter if you didn't stagger the rows!


Anyway....
I am almost done with the pink hat, I'm at the point of decreasing.  After that I am either going to start a baby hat, or a pair of socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment