Sunday, April 1, 2018

Day 3: Some Time At The Zoo

  Check-out wasn't until noon, so we planned on sleeping in.  For some reason, our fire alarm went off twice at nine, so that didn't work out for us.  The beds and pillows were so soft though, so the sleep we did get was really good.

  This place is right next to the amusement park.  You can even buy a ticket that will let you go to both.  I wonder what the animals think of all the screaming they hear from the roller-coasters.

  These roseate spoonbills were the first animals I saw when we walked in.  The one on the left kept stopping what it was in the middle of when I walked over and watched me as I took pictures of it both times I walked over.  It didn't do that for anyone else.  They were so cute, I wanted to take one home with me.

  I didn't know that armadillos like snuggling so much.  Soon after I took this picture the one on the left needed to get more comfortable.  First he rolled onto his stomach and then started scooting forward while digging some.  It was really cute to watch and made me wish I could take one home with me.

  Most of the prairie dogs were probably asleep, but two were on watch.  This one was the first to sound an alarm if one of the vultures would glide a bit too low.  There were also some moments with a staring contest or two between him and a zoo goer.

  I've always thought that turkeys are both really pretty and kind of scary.  They are just so large and menacing looking.  Their feathers are also amazing colors for mostly just looking black.  One of the males even puffed up a few times so we could see that typical turkey shape we think of when we think of turkeys.

  They didn't have an enclosure for squirrels, but they were everywhere.  This little guy was hamming it up when I finished taking pictures of the turkeys and noticed him.  He was even within five feet of me when I took this picture.  He even adjusted once so I could get a picture of his good side.

  The first time we walked through the nocturnal enclosure almost everyone was asleep.  We wanted to see if we could get a better view of the ocelot so we circled back before we left.  Everyone but the ocelot was awake and moving around.  The ringtail melted my heart.  Look at those giant eyes and fluffy tail.  She was another one I wanted to take home with me.

  While we were there a little girl was getting her own private egg hunt.  Mom would duck into one of the enclosed areas, put an egg or two and then they would let her look.  The found eggs would go into Dad's hoodie until they were snuck out to be found again.

  What is this?  It looks like one animal has snuck home with me in my bag!  Krissy saw me eyeing the last grey bunny in the gift shop when we first walked in.  She then bought me my little Easter Bunny.  I'm so happy!  I'm thinking of naming her Freya since it is also April Fool's Day today.  If you don't get the correlation, the name Freya is tied with the number one in numerology.
  I got more knitting done on the way back, but not as much as I thought I would be.  It was nice and sunny out, so I kept getting distracted by the sites along the way.  I'm at the point where I will be casting off for the cap sleeves and then casting on for the under arm area.

No comments:

Post a Comment