Sunday, May 21, 2017

Days 1 and something of Scotland!

  So I got up a little early for me, some time after 8am. I finished packing and even had time to go and check out one of the houses for sale in my neighborhood. I was really hoping to be able to bring something I ordered online, but that didn't happen.
   We got to the airport and got through very easily. We then got some lunch before we waited for our plane to board.  The nice thing about international trips is that they feed you.   These seats were interesting though, there were 4 seats across, you only got 3 offset under the seat storage spaces, but there were 5 cup holders.

  That was my nifty little set up. I really liked the tiny wines.
  I wanted to work on Better Together on the plane because I could concentrate on it. Well, it took me until my third movie to cast everything on and to count to nine 40 times. My problem was that I was counting the one purl stitch and then going on to two when I made my first knit stitch. Silly me!
  When I learned that we were going to have to go through security again and the rest of my bottle of water would go to waste I became annoyed.  We weren't leaving the airport, so where would we have gotten ahold of something we weren't allowed to have?  So I drank the whole thing before we got off the plane.  I felt better about not wasting the water, but I also gave myself a stomach ache.

  While on the flight from London to Edinburgh I knew it was at a breakfast time and I got breakfast food, but my body was just confused as to what time it was.  I got a mini English Breakfast.  I also managed to get one more row knitted.  The middle seats were interesting.  They were more narrow and armrests had been put over them.  It didn't look like they were ever used as seats, even though it has its own tray table.

  It seemed like I was the only one to get food on that flight because soon after getting to the hotel everyone else wanted to get food.  I had read a post about some of the foods you had to try while in Scotland.  One of them was the scotch egg.  Since I was only a little bit hungry, I ordered one.
  It is a hard boiled egg wrapped in sausage for anyone who doesn't know.  The one I got had a slightly runny yolk and was wrapped in spicy sausage, almost a chorizo.

  Then came the hike to the top of Arthur's Seat.  We were told that even though it would look like we wouldn't want to, we should take the path with the stairs.  Once close we saw a map with some of the paths labeled on it.  None of the actual paths were labeled, so it was kind of hard to tell which ones were official and which had just been made over time.  We saw some steep stair-like things that looked like I wouldn't want to go up, so they fit the criteria and up we went.

  Some of the steps we went up were almost to my knee and at one point there stopped being stairs and were just rocks in an angle.  I did a bad impression of a mountain goat and climbed up.  I'm not in shape at all, so I had to take a few breaks.  It might not look like much from the picture, but the tiny road at the bottom of the picture is a two lane road.
  It didn't bother me that everyone else in the group was faster than I was, but it did bother me when the path got close to a steep hill.

  I also didn't go all the way to the top because it was windy when we were most of the way up and I was cold enough as it was.  I did have fun taking pictures of wild birds and people's dogs.

  We headed back down a different way than we came up.  Along the way I saw a wild rabbit tumble down onto the path, I thought he had just slipped and was going to get up and scamper off, but when he started thrashing around I knew he wasn't doing very well.  I told him that he had been a very good bunny, and while I know he didn't understand me I hope my tone got through.

  There weren’t any people down at St. Anthony's Chapel when we first got there.  However, whenever you are trying to get pictures without people, they all sense your intentions and swarm to where you are pointing the camera.   The rest of the walk down was really easy.  We stopped in at BRGR and I got the Kinder Egg shake.  It was really good and I highly recommend it to anyone who has one near them.

  It is now after 10pm local time and I have been up since about 2pm yesterday so I think it is time for bed for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment