Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Home Again!

  Remember how I was going to make one more hat in the medium size for the pattern photos?  Well, I was going to have it be two colors and maybe make a note on how I did it.  I weighed the other hat and weighed my yarn.  My yarn was 3 grams heavier and so I felt like I could make it work.   As you can see by that spot of navy blue on the top, it did not work.  I was knitting along, making notes about the decreases when I noticed that my yarn ball looked a bit small to me.  I kept trying to reassure myself that as I was going I was decreasing and each row needed less yarn.  Then I started knitting faster so I could get to the end of the project before the yarn knew it had run out.  I lost that game of yarn chicken.   I also made use of having to re-knit the piece to make the decreases for the extra-small and medium easier to do.  Now you won't have to move the beginning-of-row marker as you go.

  I know people joke about packing too much knitting for how long their trip is.  Like their trip is somehow going to only be about knitting and not about their destination.  I almost didn't bring enough knitting.  I figured I would work on making the large sized hat and that should take me most of the trip.  It almost got me through the whole trip.  I then made a small size, and since that went a lot quicker, I also made an extra small.  I didn't have enough yarn to start a medium hat.

  The lighter yellow on the right was one that I made before I left.  The one on the left was the second hat I started on our trip.  I know they look exactly the same, but I actually did the decreases in an easier manner the second time around.

  I'm not sure why the baby size turned out a different shape at the crown as the others.  It has the exact same decease rate, only fewer repeats of it.  I'm sure it will look fine once you put it on an actual head.  Blocking will probably also help.  I wanted to get pictures taken before I forgot again and give them away at a K&CC meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment