Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Demo/Foundation Work Day 4: I'd Like to Think of it as a Moat

  This is where they left off on the moat work yesterday.  Bill keeps calling it the trenching they need to do to fix the foundation, but I like thinking of it as our partial moat more.

  If you click on the photos, you can even see how there is already some water in our partial moat.  Which is good for moats but really bad for foundations.  This is a bit surprising because we are a bit of an incline, so I thought any extra water in the ground would just go farther down.

  Here is going to be the outer part of my egress window that will be in my craft room.  It will also make it safer for us to use our basement because we will have more than one way to get out.  I probably could have squeezed out of the window currently there, but it would have been iffy and I'm not sure Bill would be able to get out through it.

  The little bump out on our kitchen just kind of floats above the ground.  I'm hoping once we start working on the deck that we can help support it, though I also don't know if it really needs it.  I'm also hoping that when we build the deck, it will be big enough that the foxes will move back in.

  I'm not completely sure why they are doing this, but I'm sure it is for a good reason.  It explains why we heard so much jackhammering though.

  I couldn't find my yard stick, so I found a broom to hold against the wall.  You can also see the crack a little closer in this photo.  Before too long it will be fixed and we won't have to worry about it any more.

  I find it interesting that they can work on fixing the foundation and bring in the things to work on the inside of the basement.  For some reason, in my mind you have to finish everything of one project before you can start something else, but that is the nice thing about having more than one group of people working on one big project.

   More stuff has arrived!  I'm a bit confused why they are leaving so much out in the rain overnight.  It was predicted to rain for about 5-6 hours and that isn't good fo untreated wood.

   Our moat is coming along nicely.  You can see there is more water in it now and this doesn't even count what will be in there because of the rain.

  It hasn't been connected on all sides, but the back of the house has some mote too.  It also makes me more curious about our overhang.
  I think I have finished the crochet part of Mary's present, but now I have a tricky problem.  I have been blocking things on the bed and closing the door so no kitties could help, but during construction we are keeping the kitties locked in rooms.  So Tank, the one who would be the most likely to help, is locked in the room with the thing I don't want him to help with.  I'll figure something out.

No comments:

Post a Comment