Monday, March 30, 2020

Demo Day 3: Where is The French Drain?

  Though I said that the demo was done, I was both right and wrong.  They finished the cosmetic demolition but now they are working on the more structural demolition.  They are currently jack-hammering to get down to the french drain.  It is going to be replaced and upgraded so we don't have to worry about too much moisture sitting around the house, like it has been doing now.

  Here is the crack running along the back wall.  It didn't seem as bad when there was a wall and you only looked at it one room at a time.  I probably should have taken a picture of how much it is bowing in, but I also don't want to know.

  This is the first crack that Bill noticed and questioned me about.  It is the room under the study and the previous photo is to the left of where you are looking right now.

  Bill and I had planned on redoing the back porch at some point, but it looks like the removal of it will be happening sooner than we thought.  You can see the slab of cement it is sitting on but the way they put everything together, the slab is currently pushing on the foundation instead of just being next to it.

  I think it is really cool how they made it.  It looks complicated, but they just poured the top layer and used those molds to press the design into it before it dried.  The plan for the new porch will be something wooden, but I wanted to hold on to the molds a but longer.
  I'm also kinda bummed because under the back porch is where the ground hog and foxes have their time share den.  I really like how often I would get to see the ground hog during the warmer months and the foxes in the cooler months and spring.  The babies are the best and it is so fun to see them running around.  I'm also glad we are taking it out about now because I haven't seen them recently and so no one will be hiding down there and get hurt when they are breaking it up to take it out.

  Bill and one of the guys from Foundation Medix even bonded some over how much they like smoking meat more than grilling it.
  Tank has definitely not been handling the jackhammer sounds coming from right next to the house.  I went downstairs to get some food and when I got back I couldn't find him.  He was hiding under one of the chairs we have in our room.  He has never gone under there before and I was nervous that I hadn't closed the door fast enough and he might have gotten out.

  I am not using the yarn I had planned to use on this project because I found this yarn and it had more yards to it.  I'm still a bit worried that I won't have enough yarn but this one is still being made, so if I need a fourth skein I will be able to get more at some point.  My state has become one where I'm supposed to shelter in place and I don't need to have this done until May.
  Everyone keep busy and stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment