Sunday, February 26, 2023

Big Twist Classic Yarn: Is It The Best or The Worst?

Big Twist Classic Yarn 

Overall ratings: 3.1/5 from 89 votes (Jo-Ann) - 3.8/5 from 93 votes (Ravelry)
Average Cost: $11.99

  I hadn't thought of what colors to get before I got to the store, so I just picked out whatever spoke to me when I got there.  Since I didn't double check the reviews, I picked out a variegated, but I possibly should have picked out a solid.  I could always revisit this yarn later.
I made two intricate projects with this yarn, both of which called for bulky weight #5 yarn. Besides being a splitting, tangled mess, this stuff is really light or worsted weight with a fluffy halo. Both the sweater and the blanket I made with this shrunk down to their real size (#3, #4 if I'm being generous) after the first wash, leaving me with stringy, scratchy messes. Avoid at all costs.

~ Steph (10 months ago) 1/5 stars
Pattern: Lucky Bamboo Hat - Needles: US 8
  I don't know how intricate Steph's project was, but I wanted to make my Lucky Bamboo Hat because it has some cables throughout.  I took measurements from the project before and after I washed it and it relaxed a little and the ribbing got a bit larger, but overall didn't really change.  I didn't have any problems with it splitting, even on the cable stitches.
vv nice yarn, would recommend
got this for a sweater project and the violet is LITERALLY THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SHADE OF PURPLE I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. PICTURES DO NOT DO IT JUSTICE.

~ yarnchild06 (1 year ago) 5/5 stars
Pattern: Side To Side Ribbed Hat by Sally L.M. - Hook: 5 mm
  I wanted to make both a knit and a crochet project with this yarn.  These sideway crochet hats have been everywhere on my social media feeds, so I had to try it.  I liked this pattern the best because it used short rows and therefore the top isn't as bulky as most.  The pattern is pretty easy and even though I had to undo some, the yarn behaved for the most part when doing it.  If you try and go too quickly the halo can get tangled and cause problems, but if you do it slowly and make sure each stitch is fully out then there shouldn't be any problems.
Definitely NOT a bulky yarn!
I’m disappointed with this yarn. It is not a bulky 5, it’s more of a thin 4. Or 3. It you want bulky yarn don’t buy this.
I love the yarn, it’s the mislabeling of weight that is deceptive. Don’t buy Big Twist unless I’m person so you can see the product.

I’m unable to do so due to health issues and rely solely on internet descriptions. Most unhappy.

I’d rate it a 5 start if .abeled correctly.

~ Goatlady (2 years ago) 1/5 stars
  I agree that this is definitely not a bulky yarn.  I don't know if they included the halo when deciding the weight of this yarn or not.  Some of the sections of yarn are thicker than others, but none reached a bulky thickness, and the variation wasn't too bad.  It's a very soft yarn and once I got used to the halo it was easy to work with, which is really good that I like it since the skeins are so big.

No comments:

Post a Comment