Tuesday, July 2, 2024

I Think I'm Hooked on Crochet Bucket Hats

Pattern: Quick & Easy Granny Stitch Bucket Hat by KnottingHookCrochet - Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver in Pretty in Pink and Burgundy - Hook: 6.5mm
  I watched the video How many granny bucket hats can I crochet in ONE day? by PassioKnitKelsie, which uses the Quick & Easy Granny Stitch Bucket Hat Crochet Tutorial by KnottingHookCrochet pattern.  They looked like they are so much fun to make, and I like how KnottingHookCrochet does the increases more than the other granny stitch bucket hats I've seen tutorials for.  They also work up quickly, but I'm definitely not as fast of a crocheter as PassioKnitKelsie.

Pattern: Granny Square Bucket Hat by me - Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver Multicolor in 0997 Sage Mary - Hook: 6mm
  I had the idea for this for a while and was never able to find a pattern that looked how I wanted it to be.  I made the top as a hexagon and only had to do four rows.  The sides are all squares where I used the Join As You Go method by Hooked by Robin I shared recently, but without joining at every chain.  When I would attach a side square I would work my partial side, one full side, then join on the second chain before the third side.  If there were other squares I would join the sides on the fourth side.  I probably could have joined the last one using the second side for the body of the hat, the third for the top, and the fourth for the final side.  However, I wanted them all to look the same, so I pulled out the first one back to the fourth side and joined it like I was adding a new square.  Those side numbers might not work if you don't find yourself starting from the middle of a row like I have.
  I started the brim by putting a granny cluster into every chain space I came across.  I also tried out a standing double crochet for the first time and though it felt loose, I think it looks fine in the end.  On the second row I used the increases by KnottingHookCrochet, but with four plain clusters between the increases and a chain in the middle of the four double crochets.
  I had a lot of fun making this, so when I make it again I might try taking out the chain between the clusters on the straight edges to see if I like the shape it makes better.  It might help the brim hold its shape better.  I'm also tempted to make it with different colored squares so it shows the joins better.

Pattern: Granny Square Bucket Hat by me - Yarn: scraps from Tammy - Hook: 6mm
  For the brim, I did a 4 double crochet increase in the middle of each square.  For the next two rows I just worked them plain.  On the next row I added a 4 double crochet increase in the space that was over the seam space with 5 regular granny clusters between.  The last two rows were worked plain again.  I had originally thought to make the brim entirely out of the navy, so it would keep the color blocking feel, but I was afraid I wasn't going to have enough yarn.  Considering I won yarn chicken with both the red and the blue, I probably could have made it.

Pattern: Quick & Easy Granny Stitch Bucket Hat by KnottingHookCrochet - Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver in Pretty in Pink and a scrap from Tammy - Hook: 5.5mm
  When we were cleaning out the garage, Bill found a paper bag filled with yarn ball bands.  I'm not sure if I was possibly keeping track of how much yarn I was using or if it was from when I was cleaning out the basement and had to wash some of the yarn.  Either way, I'm not sure how the bag ended up in the garage.  I took a quick peak and found oldies like Sensations Sublime, one of JoAnn Fabrics original brand, and also one from Creslan Cyanamid which cost 49¢ when new from the store.
  You probably also noticed the jump in the yarn I got.  I found a really pretty shawl pattern that I want to make, but it is large.  I didn't have enough yarn in the size I needed already, so I asked around.  I got some options from both Tammy and Andrea.  I'm still slowly working through yarn, but getting a bunch of small balls makes it look more daunting than it should.  I know I'm also slowing down my own progress by not counting the scrap yarn I was given while focusing on working on Worry Worms with it so much recently.


Yearly Yarn Tracker:
Yarn In: 14 (0)
Yarn Out: 17 (1)

Total: -3

No comments:

Post a Comment