Thursday, June 27, 2024

Working on Some WIPs

Pattern: Mitered Square - Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver in Pretty in Pink and Burgundy - Needle: US 8
  I can't even remember when I started this project, other than it had to be before 2017.  I wasn't sure what pattern it was, other than I was pretty sure it was a class I would have taught at JoAnn Fabrics.  I thought I had 25 stitches on each side to begin the mitered corners, but when I tried that I ended on the wrong color.  I decided to lean into it and switch which is the longest color every 4 blocks.  It also wasn't until I was most of way done that I figured out it made a smoother edge if I picked up the first stitch of the outside section from the previous cast on instead of casting them all on.
  For this I cast on 48 stitches.  Knit 24, placed a marker, then knit the last 24.  I then knit until 2 stitches before the marker, k2tog, slipped the marker, ask, and then knitted until the end.  On the wrong side rows I just knitted back.  I switched colors every other row.  Once I was down to the last two stitches remaining I removed the stitch marker so I could do one final k2tog before picking up stitches with the right side facing me.  I picked up 23 stitches along the top so I had 24 on my needle.  I replaced the stitch marker, picked up one last stitch on the previous cast on row, then cast on another 23.  With 24 stitches on either side of my stitch marker I knit back to where my other color was waiting.
  When I wanted to change the color of the longest row, I started the square before the change with 25 stitches on each side of the stitch marker.  That will give you one more color change before you get down to only on stitch.

Pattern: Double Basket Stitch
  I vaguely remember this being a square when JoAnn Fabrics and Crafts has a series of knitted and crochet square classes.  At the end of the year, we were going to join the squares to make a blanket, but not enough people signed up for all of the classes.  I liked the pattern and wanted to do something with it.  The pussyhat style was perfect for the square.  I might try making another, but in the round.


Yearly Yarn Tracker:
Yarn In: 14 (9)
Yarn Out: 16 (2)

Total: -2

No comments:

Post a Comment