Thursday, November 16, 2023

One From the Vault

  I was doing some reorganizing of the yarn overflow area and found this scarf.  I had started it back in college and had made the cable needlessly complicated.  I had decided that it needed a purl between the knit sections of the cable.  I had set it aside to get finished by someone else, but when I took another look at it, I saw that it really only needed the other end done in seed stitch.  Six rows later I had it bound off.  It's the really old Super Saver, so it isn't very soft.  I tried soaking it in conditioner and water, and that really helped a lot.

Pattern: Hurricane Hat by Andrea Goutier - Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver in Shaded Dusk - Needle: US 8
  Since my mom has been telling so many people about how easy the Hurricane hat is, I decided to make another one.  I technically didn't have enough yarn, but it fits my head, so I figure that's good enough.  It also got a conditioner bath to help soften it up.
 
Pattern: Swirl Hat by Mandie Harrington - Yarn: Yarn Bee Soft Secret in Navy - Needle: US 6
  I had grabbed this yarn to make the Hurricane Hat with but needed to find a new project for it since I had used the ancient Super Saver.  I looked up the yarn on Ravelry, looked at project ideas, and this one was already in my queue.
  To get a fabric I liked, I had to go up to a size 6 needle.  For some reason it looked like it was going to come out as a giant hat with the largest size, so I restarted with the number of stitches for a 12m-2y.  I'm somehow now getting gauge, so I could have possibly been fine before, but it just looked so big when I was casting on the first time.  The yarn is so soft, like it claims.
  I looked through the project pages and liked the look of the hat when you couldn't see the holes from the yarn-overs.  So I knitted the yarn-overs through the back loop to close them up some.
  I have an idea to make a variance of this where I keep twisting the yarn-overs, but to do a ssk instead of a k2tog.  It will make the solid section that is traveling one stitch narrower, but I think it could be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment