Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Red Heart Super Saver Yarn in Retro Stripe: Is It the Best?

Red Heart Super Saver Yarn in Retro Stripe 

Overall ratings: 4.6/5 from 441 votes (Amazon) - 4.5/5 from 79 votes (Jo-Ann) - 4.2/5 from 989 votes (Ravelry)
Average Cost: $6.31

  I am taking a slight variance with this challenge and picking out a specific color of yarn.  At one point this colorway was so popular that whenever anyone saw it, they cleaned the shelf of it.  Most of the people I saw doing this were the ones making the double thick knitting machine hats, but I decided to try it out for myself.
 
Pattern: Side To Side Ribbed Hat by Sally L.M. - Hook: 5.5 mm
Good grief, why is this so popular?

This yarn is wildly popular on Tik Tok so I decided to give it a try. I've never used Super Saver, but I enjoy a good acrylic yarn. This is weird, like spun plastic. There are 100% acrylic yarns that don't feel like this does. I really wanted it to work on my circular knitting machine, but it seems to be impossible. I make a lot of hats on my knitting machine, but I cannot get this to work without slipped stitches. So disappointing. At least it was on sale so I don't feel too bad about donating to someone who might like it.

Angela (7 months ago) 1/5 stars
  I had seen it in stores a few times and thought the colors looked alright, but nothing amazing.  I had even considered buying the four skeins I saw on the shelf to try and resell online.  Though knowing my luck, the craze would have died right before I got them listed.

Pattern: Lucky Bamboo Hat - Needles: US 8
not so good

Some of this yarn is nice and some is rough and not well colored. I wish the ppl who filled these orders would take notice of dye lots. And there seems to be a big difference on quality depending where the fiber is spun. Those lots made in India are nicely colored and soft, those spun in Turkey are a weird tone and rough and almost feel like you could get a splinter from them. I had to re-order several times just to get the same consistency in the skeins to finish a project.
Kind of disappointing. Beware of ordering Aran I ordered Aran and received a dye lot that originally said Soft White and had an Aran sticker over it. It was not Aran.

~ 55 years of crochet (a month ago) 2/5 stars
  The colors you see in pictures and seeing it wrapped in the skein don't do it justice.  I can see why people like it so much.  All of the colors flow smoothly into each other, except for the cool pink, that one is a rather abrupt change.  Though I do think I prefer it in the crochet hat versus the knit.  I don't think I'm going to go crazy over it and buy 34 skeins for my stash, but I might consider buying it again.  Like Angela said, it feels nice for a Red Heart Super Saver, which means that while there are nicer acrylic yarns out there, I don't want to use this to get dried food off of my dishes.  It is also very interesting what 55 Years of Crochet noticed about manufacturing location.  I will have to check the ones I have and see if I notice a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment