Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Lattice Beret: Is It The Worst?

©The Knit Guru 

Lattice Beret 

Overall rating of 1.3/5 from 3 votes
Cost: Free

  I tried to get as much information as I could about this pattern, since it is very barebones.  I checked the posts on her old blog, Lunchbox of Awesome and her current blog, The Knit Guru, along with comparing it to the Ravelry Project Page.
  She says she used size 5mm and 7mm needles, that is an US size 8 and a bit bigger than a US size 10.5.  Her project page on Ravelry she says she used DK weight yarn, but on her blog post she says she uses a chenille yarn with some sparkle.  I have never seen a chenille yarn that is thin enough to be a DK, most are Aran or thicker.
Hi I just finished this and ended up with a beanie instead of a beret. I read the instructions to say do the repeated rows over the next 12 rows instead of 12 times so I only ended up with 1/2 as many rows as I should have. Its a cute beanie, a quick knit and I’m going to do it again but not tonight. LOL

~ sallyknits101 (over 9 years)
  From looking at the picture, I do believe that the original hat is done with the 12 rows of the lace repeat before the decrease.  I tried to see if she put anything about gauge or the actual yarn she used.  I couldn't find that anywhere, just that "loose gauge is best" for this project.  The hat is worked flat and then seamed up.  She says to sew the two sides, but I think she means to sew the two sides together and not that you will have two seams.
Frogged and restarted on 29/04.
I’m mystified by this, I followed the (admittedly not great) pattern to the letter, and the hat turned out child sized… Either I horrendously misread the pattern, or the pattern is horrendous.
Anyway, I am a disappointed as I really like the yarn, and loved the look of the hat in the picture accompanying the pattern.
As I can’t wear it, and I don’t know any kids, I’ll donate it, with my other items, to KAS.

~ BeaniePad (5 years)
  When I did my test knit, done flat with some DK yarn, my hat was going to be 17" at the brim and only 4" tall.  I then reknit it and when I used a thicker yarn I ended up with it being 23" at the brim and 6.5" tall, which I think matches the picture more closely, but not quite.

Yarn: Red Heart Hometown USA in Chicago Charcoal - Needles: US 10 and US 13
  I am a tight knitter, and The Knit Guru might be a loose knitter.  I really wish she had put any kind of numbers having to do with the dimensions of the finished item so I wouldn't have to keep guessing based on the picture.  I think I went too bulky with the yarn on this one.

Yarn: Red Heart With Love in White held double - Needles: US 10 and US 13
  I stayed with the new needle sizes, but went with a bulky weight instead of a super bulky.  It was a bit closer but I still wasn't able to get the size difference between the ribbing and the body of the beret like she was able to.  My yarn-overs seem to want to pull in on themselves while hers stay very open.  I might have had to go up another size, but that would have then put me way past the 2mm difference in needle size she had.
  Overall, I don't think this is written out very well to be a pattern to used by other people.  It would be great as a reminder to her as to what she did if she wanted to make the hat again.  There aren't too many things she would need to change to make it into something anyone could use.  She just needs to add what yarn she uses so people have an idea of what weight the yarn really is and could possibly get recommendations on Ravelry, also add what gauge we are aiming for on the brim and the body of the hat.  A few finished dimensions of the hat wouldn't hurt either.

No comments:

Post a Comment