Monday, September 27, 2021

It Looks Like Ice Cream

Pattern: Waves of Hope Hat by LJM Designs - Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver in Cherry Chip - Needle: US 6
  I decided to make another one, using the right weight of yarn.  I like how the yarn pooled and made it look like there were long runs of the same color.  I now want to make one with beads on the yarn over gaps.

Pattern: Wheat by Tin Can Knits, Yarn: Red Heart Stripes in Icy Pond
  I didn't know how it would turn out with the variegated yarn, but I wanted to try this pattern with this yarn.  This was the yarn I lost before the trip to Glacier.  I was nervous about how the pooling would look, but I had a feeling, and it looks really cool.  It's also very interesting how a slight change in gauge makes the one part have a completely different pattern.  I'm not overly worried about skein changes, I won't be measuring some out to make sure I'm at the exact same point in a color shift, I'm okay with just letting it happen the way it does.  Maybe we will get some new fun color pooling patterns.
  I'm also using a Fisherman's Rib instead of the 1x1 ribbing the pattern calls for.  The garter stitch squishes down on itself, I thought the ribbing would pucker because those rows wouldn't do that.  I know that makes this a bit less of a beginner pattern, but I like how it's turning out and I apparently want more brioche in my life.

  Last Friday/Saturday was the first time I got to yell things at a screen while The Rocky Horror Picture Show played and people I know run around a theater in a long time.  Ryan found a place in Manassas that we could use.  Bill offered the use of his truck to help take the props from the University Mall theater to The Salisbury Center.  This place is really interesting.  They have boxing matches, there is a bar, and they have other shows.  I suggested we eat at The Philadelphia Tavern before the show, since I've been wanting to go there for a bit now.  Everyone who went seemed to really like it.
  The comedy show went long, so then the country music band went long, so we didn't get to start moving things until after we had been promised.  There also weren't stairs to get on and off the stage from the front, but the owner let us use some speakers as stairs.  It wasn't the best, but it worked.  Bill got adopted by the props people and helped on that during the whole show.
  The show was really good.  There were some imperfections, but when no one has really done this in a year and a half, that's to be expected.  They also didn't get to practice the show on the stage beforehand.  When they started to work on blocking, the people who worked at the location started to let the audience in.  The sound on the movie cut out twice, but some people were yelling the movie while others continued to yell callbacks.
  In a very Rocky tradition, we went to IHOP after the show.  Our waiter had recently been in a car accident and had a concussion.  They were also understaffed for as many people as they had, so the waitress who was helping the other table ended up bringing us our drinks, and it was her first day.  It was all just kind of crazy and we had been sat in a very cold corner.  Not the best, but it was nice to keep hanging out with some of the people after.
  I am definitely looking forward to the Transylvanian Concubines getting to be back at University Mall, but it might also be fun to go back to The Salisbury Center again, especially since they now know what to expect and we know what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment