Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Who Checks the Charts?

  Here is the picture of the BUN Hat I promised.  It is smaller than the pattern says because I used smaller yarn and smaller needles.  I adjusted the height accordingly by just doing less for the body of the hat and followed the decreases as written.

 This was my between projects project.  Just a quick brioche hat.  I love how fancy brioche looks.

  I finally blocked the Star Stitch Scarf that I was testing the pattern for.  I still need to ask her if she is ever going to publish the pattern because it looks really nice.  You can see the pattern better if you click on the photo and see it closer to full sized.

 I didn't actively follow a pattern when making this because I had remembered it well enough from when I taught the class.  The Quick & Simple Granny Shawl has all the same steps as the ones that I did.  There are a ton out there that will get you very similar results with only very minor changes in what you do.  I just kept going back and forth until I didn't have enough yarn to do another whole row.

  I was kind of nervous about this one.  I haven't done a pointed blanket project like this with so many points.  At first it seemed fine, but as I went it kept looking more and more like it wouldn't block out flat and would be buckled.  I kept wondering if I should take it out and do it again with only 6 points, but I kept going.  Once I started pulling the points out while blocking it looked more and more like it would work and that mine would look like the pictures.


  On row 11, at the very end the chart doesn't actually match the stitches I had. It shows two increases next to each other, but only shows one more stitch in the chart.  It tells you to k4, yo, kfb, k2, but the written instructions tell you to k5, kfb, k2.  I'm guessing that when the chart was made they put together a big block of pattern and worked backwards from there.  The yo was probably just left over from that and no one noticed it.
  There are also a few rows that are missing the symbol to do garter stitch on the wrong side on the flat edge.  I also found some symbols on the chart that aren't on the key at all.  So my suggestion is that if you have a doubt about the chart, check the written instructions, they seem to be correct.
  Here's to a new year and hopefully correct charts.

No comments:

Post a Comment