Saturday, October 7, 2023

The Linen/Moss Stitch Obsession Starts Here

Pattern: Love Wins by Bag-O-Day Crochet - Yarn: Caron Cakes in Red Velvet - Hook: 6mm
  Some people call this linen stitch while I've seen others call it moss stitch.  I followed the pattern until it was a bit wider than the back of my neck, I then added the two extra corners to allow it to fold over the shoulders a bit better.  I know a triangle shawl is classic, but I think ones shaped a bit more like this sit on the shoulders nicer without a shawl pin.  I do wish I had known how to increase on the ends about half as much, or possibly made the corners only ever couple of rows to make the top more of an arc rather than a cut-out.
  The yarn was really nice and I wouldn't mind getting more in the future.  It feels like fancier Caron Simply Soft and I like a lot of the color combinations.  I'll have to keep this one in mind once I work through more of my over-flow.
  
Pattern: Moss Stitch Triangle Scarf by Kylee Keller - Yarn: Big Twist Natural Blend in Sage dye lots 629936(x2) + 631201 - Hook: 9mm
  I wish there was a 9.5mm crochet hook.  Using the 9mm was a bit tighter than I would want for this, but the 10mm was way too loose and floppy.  I tried blocking it so that it might relax a little, especially since it has wool in it, but it stayed mostly the same.  It's not too stiff that it can't go around your shoulders, but it rides up in the back some if you try and pull it tightly closed in the front.  I put the odd dye lot in the middle of the other two, and you can almost see it in the picture, but I can't tell when it's in person at all.

Pattern: moss/linen stitch - Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in Country Blue Ombre - Hook: 5.5mm
  I didn't know how far this yarn would go, so I just chained an odd number of stitches that was big enough to easily slip over my head.  I like how some sections of the colors are thicker than the others, even though I didn't change anything about how I worked it.

  I actually found the red yarn under some books next to my bed.  I don't know where it came from or why I put it there.  It's also feeling really good to be able to get skeins completely finished once I finish the larger project.  I've started labeling the partially finished worms so that I can remember what hook I liked with that yarn and easily be able to grab what size I need when I have a new project finished.

  I am thinking of taking a little break from the linen/moss stitch shawls and go back to hats for a bit, but when I saw this skein of yarn in my stash I knew I wanted to use it for a triangle linen stitch shawl.  I have three skeins of it, so I might be able to make something to go with the shawl, though I might also just make a giant shawl.
  It's really interesting to see what kinds of yarns different brands have tried to make over the years.  I don't know how to tell when this was made, and I have looked online and it seem to be discontinued.  I couldn't find a date for that either, but it looks like this ball band (skein band?) went through at least two different designs before it was retired.

No comments:

Post a Comment