Monday, March 13, 2023

Head Hug Chemo Cap: Is It The Best?

© Laura DeFlora

Head Hug Chemo Cap 

Overall rating of 5/5 from 21 votes
Cost: Free

  I signed up to do some knitting/crochet for St. Jude to help earn some money, so I decided to try one of the highly rated patterns this time.  This one looked fun so I decided to give it a try.
  One thing that did confuse me for a bit was the chart for the ribbing pattern. The numbers for what stitch you are doing are the same size as the K and P above it. I thought they meant that the number was how many stitches you were supposed to do. When I read through the stitches written out, I figured out what they actually meant.
Thanks very much. A dear friend of mine will be going through chemo and radiation and I was looking for a nice hat to knit for her. Take care and I wish you all the best.

~ LuvYarn5 (3 years ago)
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in Autumn Red 9924 - Needle: US 6
  I did find some problems with the pattern in the decrease rows.  If you are an intermediate to advanced knitter you might not even notice them, but it might be a problem for someone who is a beginner and is trying to follow the pattern exactly as written.  Here are what I have found:
• On row 2 she tells you to "Knit one row in pattern, which will be p2 *k5, p4* p2" which makes it seem like you would end the row with 6 purl stitches.  It should read as "p2 *k5, p4* k5, p2".  It could also be written as *p2, k5, p2* and get the same results.
• Row 4 has the same problem.  It reads as "Knit one row in pattern, which will be p1 *k5, p3* p2" but it should be "p1 *k5, p3* k5, p2".
• The repeat asterisk should be between the first p1 and the second k5 for row 6 of the crown.  The way it is now would lead you to believe that there are some sections with two purl stitches next to each other.  The second set of k5, p1 could also just be taken off.
From a survivor - good for you to make that free design!

Best wishes to all using your hats and going through chemo. Always a challenging time, but really worth the battle. ❤️

~ MissButtons (5 years ago)
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in Autumn Kiss Ombre 2708 dye lot 27366 115 - Needles: US 8
  It is a very nice and easy pattern to read for the most part.  I like how simple the repeat is while also having enough of an interest so that I wanted to keep going.  I also appreciate when someone works the pattern into the crown decreases.  It seems that she doesn't check the comments on her pattern because someone posted that there was a stitch count error on row 8, but it doesn't seem to be fixed on the pattern.  Though to be fair I also don't check the comments on my patterns as often as I probably should.  Since there are so many errors in the pattern, I wouldn't call it the best.  Though because a lot of the rest of the pattern is well written I wouldn't call it the worst either.  Whichever you want to call it, I enjoyed making it.

No comments:

Post a Comment