Friday, March 24, 2023

A Butterfly's Tale and Some Turtles

Pattern: Boyfriend Hat by Stephanie Nicole Bennet - Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver Multis in 997 Sage Mary - Needle: US 8
  Since we are going to put a bid on one of the cabins, I thought it would be a good idea to see what pattern I want to use for the Safety Hats.  If we are going to have a cabin in the forest where people might want to take a stroll during hunting season, I want to have something that they can grab easily to stand out.  I don't think everyone would think to bring something neon to wear, so I figured I'd provide it.  The ribbing let's the hat fit many sizes and I had an idea of what I wanted it to look like.  I had to make a few changes to the decreases, but otherwise this pattern works out really nicely for me.

Pattern: Waves of Hope by LMJ Designs - Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver Multis in 997 Sage Mary and Red Heart Super Saver Heather in Grey Heather - Needle: US 8
  I don't know why but recently I remember something that happened to me during a Girl Scout outing many many years ago.  We had hiked through the woods and found a beach area.  Everyone was looking for shark teeth and I spotted a butterfly that was being battered around by the cold wind.  I picked it up and put it on my sweatshirt so I could block the wind with my hands.  I carried it for the rest of the time we were on the beach like that.  Once we got back to the woods where the wind was a lot calmer and the air felt warmer the butterfly managed to warm up enough and flew off.

Pattern: Saw it on AliExpress - Yarn: Caron Simply Soft in Autumn Red 9924 and Bone 9703 - Needle: US 6
  That reminded me of some turtles I've helped fairly recently.  One I spotted sitting in the middle of an intersection near where I work.  The intersection isn't super busy, but it was busy enough that the turtle was just huddled in its shell.  I turned on my hazards and jumped out of my car to take it to the nearby woods.
  The other turtle was trying to cross a fairly busy road.  When I saw it I turned off on the next small street and parked as close as I could.  I then hurried back and hoped that it was still okay.  Someone with a truck had also seen it and had stopped to try and block traffic.  I saw a huge truck coming that would have probably hit the turtle, but the person in the smaller truck opened their door to stop it.  I grabbed the turtle and took it across the median and to the other side where it had been heading.

No comments:

Post a Comment