Tuesday, September 1, 2020

The New Googly Sploot

  You probably would have thought that I would have gotten tired of this pattern because of how many I had to make while testing the pattern.  I was just so curious how the pattern would work with a more variated yarn.  I actually really like it.  I saw the apology letter on Ravelry, so for now the pattern is still only on Ravelry.  I like how they are working with people to try and make is accessible to everyone again.  I do wish they had just gone back to the old one with the new one being the option, especially since they are working on the newer one and will (hopefully) make some changes.

  I finished the first blanket for the new couches for the basement.  Right now we have them ordered, but they have not shown up yet.  The blanket is about 71" square.  It was supposed to just be the spiral in the inside, but since it wasn't as big as I was hoping, I added the boarder.  I actually really like it and I'm glad I had to add more.  The pattern is Solid Spiral Granny Square, though I'm still me, so I didn't totally follow the pattern.  I did a smaller center area and only put one treble-crochet in the corner in the 3-cluster.

  I have started making something new for my Etsy Shop.  I was watching a video of someone showing off their cute accessories and he had on a set of the googly eyeball rings.

  I have loved those things since I was little, but I never kept one around to wear regularly.  Since I've been trying to mix up my wardrobe I figured I could get some for me to wear with my lolita dresses, or maybe some of the circle skirts I plan to sew.  I showed my friend them and she asked if I got them to wear as is, or to make something out of them.

  I've been following FloppyCatCreations on both Instagram and Etsy.  I have been really loving his Stitch Punks and have been wanting to make something similar of my own.  Right now my sewing machines are still pretty buried, so I haven't been able to make anything.  I also haven't been able to find the time to sketch what I would want mine to be.

  While I was falling asleep the night that I got the rings, the idea for these popped into my head.  I had to pull my phone out and start typing up the pattern before I fell asleep and might have forgotten it.  I've gone through a few different prototypes, but I think I have it down now.  I've mostly been working on Halloween themed ones, but I have some Christmas ones too.
  They are called Googly Sploots.  I'm not the best at thinking of names for things, so I put it out to the internet.  First I asked Krissy and got some ideas, but my other friend, Bri wasn't a big fan of what I came up with from there.  We worked off of my idea for the Googly part and one of Krissy's other ideas and came up with Sploot to show how they look a bit like they are melting or got dropped and splatted a little.
  Now the hard part about them.  I have mostly Halloween colors, but I need more for other holidays.  I was hoping to find some red because that would cover Christmas, Valentine's Day, and the 4th of July.  We have a lot of red holidays.  I found some at both Party City and Wal*Mart.  However, they are a slightly smaller size and while they look fine, I like the slightly larger ones better.  I think it's because the eyes are wider apart.  I can try to see if I could heat and bend the plastic of the band, but I'd also rather not put that much work into that part of them.
  I have a bunch of red, white, and blue yarn set aside to make hats for TAPS, but I'm thinking that I should make a bunch of these as well.  I bet the kids would love them, I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment